Pages

Tuesday, May 5, 2015

The Less than Perfect Crocheted Project - Not a Mistake

Don't be discouraged when your newest project looks less than perfect, or rather completely different from what you envisioned. This happens to me quite often when I work without a pattern. I like creating my own crochet patterns, which often leads to projects looking a little ... less professional than I would like. Yet I find that I learn best this way.

My recent project was crocheted gloves. I made these for myself to work with, as I get pretty bad winter hands. I tried to make them as unique as I can with thinner wool than I usually enjoy working with. I love green and brown, which led to my ultimate decision to buy this particular yarn.


It wasn't the worst job, but it came out differently than I anticipated. They do work well to keep my hands nice and toasty, but they are still too thick to allow me to work comfortably while wearing them.

The point is that no project can really be considered a mistake if you learn from it. I am not entirely unhappy with the project (as I can wear them), but I do know it could have gone a lot better. I have learned a lot from this project, but there was one specific one I'd like to share.

Write Down Every Detail!

Yes, this is seemingly obvious. I wrote down the pattern I used for the one side of the glove, which I thought was thorough enough. However, as you can see, the one glove is not exactly the same size as the other. I never wrote down how much to decrease and because of this small detail, the one glove fits too snug.

The crocheted glove being worn is the first one I made, and a great fit, but the other one has plenty of issues. It is even duller in colour.

No one is perfect and therefore no one will have a perfect crochet project. This will definitely not be the last project I mess up, and it might once again be because I don't write down the patterns - I am so lazy when it comes down to writing down my patterns...

Tell me about your own "disaster" project and what you learned from it! You might just help other crocheters out there. Whether we have crocheted for months or years, we all make mistakes that we can laugh at.

No comments:

Post a Comment