Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The Newest Finished Crochet Project: Crocheted Lap Blanket and Its Pattern Guide

It is about four months since I started with crocheted lap blanket and I only finished it yesterday. It took a long time, but I can say it was for good reasons, namely that I was busy with other projects in between and that sometimes I was an expert procrastinator.

This crochet project was redone a few times as well, since I had trouble with the crochet pattern (which I made myself). I kept being unhappy with how it looked, but third time is a charm, or was it the fourth?

This lap blanket will be perfect for those cold nights sitting in front of the television or computer, and it will be even better for a pet to take over. I got an order for one of these from my own husband, so I will probably start another one soon.

This crocheted lap blanket was a blast to make, but I had to remake it a few times to get the pattern right.

Lap Blanket Crochet Pattern

Sadly, I can't tell you exactly how it was made, as I never made notes. I can try to give you a little guidance if you want to try to make something like this yourself. Take note that I expect that you already know how to crochet and what the different stitches are. I'm not going to explain every detail, but feel free to ask me a question.

I'm sure you can make something like this yourself with the guidance I'll give you on the pattern I made.
Terms Used
Single Crochet - SC
Half Double Crochet - HDC
Double Crochet - DC
Double Crochet into Front Posts - DC into FP (to make another front post)
Triple Crochet into Front Posts - TC into FP (to make another front post)

First Row
Chain as many chains as you need until the lap blanket is as wide as you want it.

Second Row
SC or Half Double Crochet HDC to create your strong base.

Third Row
Chain 2,
{skip 2 stitches,
DC 5 times into the 3rd stitch,
chain 1,
skip 2,
do a petal stitch,
chain 1,
skip 2,
DC 5 times into 3rd stitch,
skip 2,}
DC into FP in each of the next 3 stitches,
grit/seed stitch into the next few stitches (as many as you want - I had 7),
DC into the next 3 stitches,
do the same stitches as between the "{}",
grit/seed stitch again (I have 6),
DC into FP in each of the next 10 stitches (this marks the middle of your work).
Continue with the rest of the row in the same manner. Finish your row with a DC into the last stitch.

Variations in Rows

The rest of the pattern is basically the same, but there are variations to create the certain look.

From this picture, you can see the variations and add it to your pattern.

Variation 1

Every second row I changed the following regarding the groups of shells and petals:

Original:
skip 2 stitches,
DC 5 times into the 3rd stitch,
chain 1,
skip 2,
do a petal stitch,
chain 1,
skip 2,
DC 5 times into 3rd stitch,
skip 2

Variation:
skip 2 stitches,
do a petal stitch,
chain 1,
skip 2,
DC 5 times into the 3rd stitch,
chain 1,
skip 2,
do a petal stitch,
skip 2

However, do this only to the ones on the inside, never to those on the sides. You can change them as often as you want.

Variation 2

As you can see, the front posts often twists. I do this by changing a part in the pattern. I will try to explain as best as I can.

This is how I make the 3 FP:
DC in FP,
DC in next FP,
DC in next FP.

What I do to twist it, is this:
TC into the last FP of the previous row,
TC into the first FP of the previous row,
TC into the middle FP of the previous row.

Just keep your head. Please look up how to do these on your own, as this pattern is purely a guidance and not a full pattern.

I hope that this pattern inspires you to make something amazing this week. I am currently trying to learn a new skill, so I will not have anything new for you for a while. I hope that soon I can show you some of what I learned, but until then, happy creating!

For more information, visit our website's entry on this project by following this link.

No comments:

Post a Comment