Pages

Thursday, October 1, 2015

Handmade Gift: My Grandmother's Birthday Necklace


I have never been good at remembering birthdays. I almost forgot my own grandmother's birthday! I am blessed to still have my grandmother. This necklace I made with her in mind, and luckily she likes it. Here is what I did and my thinking pattern for those interested.

Take note that I haven't made any jewelry in such a long time, and I was quite worried that I would have forgotten how. It is like riding a bike - I was quickly able to get the hang of it again. I started off by choosing my colours and arranging them as I would like them.


I decided to give it different levels, which I did through the use of crimping beads. I covered the crimping beads up to ensure that it all fits in nicely with the design. I wanted to use ribbon, but decided it wouldn't really enhance the elegant, yet simplistic look - always know what you want and how to get it!

My table soon looked like this:


Quite an organised mess...

In the end, my grandmother was very happy with the necklace and it fitted perfectly with her top she wore on her birthday outing. There is nothing like giving a gift made by hand with love. Next time, try making someone something rather than running to the shop; most people would appreciate the gesture of time and effort.

Feel free to tell us about your own crafts!

No comments:

Post a Comment